Monday, November 28, 2011

Mini anyone?

Mini anyone? by dtk_guy
Mini anyone?, a photo by dtk_guy on Flickr.

For starters, I sort of have my doubts I'll see a Mini on the road once February rolls around. Though I don't have any doubts it could be driven but I just think it'll be a rare sight.

Second thought: I sort of wonder how much the inspection fees will be for those Minis. I believe once the age of a car gets above a decade the fees start getting quite high in relation to the value of the car. The fees for a car from the 1950s or 1960s probably would be astronomical.

Today was a pretty quiet day. I had a less than fulfilling time trying to keep abreast of the score of the Grey Cup game being played in Vancouver. Apparently the CBC wasn't broadcasting the game. So I was left clinging to the live blog on the CBC web site for information. I can't get live streaming video from the CBC website so I wasn't expecting that but the utter lack of video coverage from other sources was quite disappointing. Nonetheless I'm glad that the Lions won. It must of been quite a lot of fun in Vancouver this week.

After the game I wandered off, got some cash out of the nearest post office ATM, paid a bill at the nearest branch of Yamagata Ginko (bank) and then headed into a shop selling coffee which I've walked by many times but never gone into. It was a nice little boutique style shop. They were selling coffees from a variety of places. I picked up 200g of their Colombian beans. Will see how it tastes tomorrow morning.

My co-worker Michael had shown a bit under the weather on Saturday. He cancelled the Mexican food night he planned at his place and stayed at home on Sunday (I had gone to the gym without him). This afternoon he sent me an e-mail asking if I could cover his evening classes. I said I'd do that for him. So I signed onto the Japan Post website to reschedule the delivery I had requested for this evening. It goes without saying I was a bit surprised when I got a phone call around 6:30pm from a fellow saying he was at my door with a package. Looks like the updated delivery request didn't get to him. Oh well. I directed him towards and school and signed for the package on the street corner.

The first class was a smooth affair. No problems with that one as Michael had left the materials on his desk and everything was in order. The second class was a bit trickier. The lesson was only 60 minutes long and was like a private lesson but there were three students. And one fellow had only attended two lessons in the past twelve weeks. So for his benefit I backtracked in the text and essentially scrapped my lesson plan. The next thing which made this a tricky class was the fact that they're not exactly the most talkative trio. So getting them to say anything in English was like pulling teeth. It took about 25 minutes to get them warmed up. In the last part of the class they were a bit more relaxed and it wasn't a such a chore to keep a modest level of energy running in the room. For me that is an important aspect of teaching. We're a conversational English school...the whole object of the exercise is not for the teacher to be talking for the length of the lesson.

That's it for this edition. I'm still waiting for that first big dump of snow for this year's winter.

No comments: